All of us, at one point or the other may come across different ailments and disorders in our day-to-day lives. Respiratory problems and diseases are among the many different ailments that many individuals face. With the pollution that goes around in the world today, quite a number of people suffer from chronic ailments and acute disorders especially having problems with their respiratory system. Diseases and disorders related to the respiratory system can make it difficult for the individual to breath properly. Extreme cases of respiratory failure can usually lead to death.
The good thing is that there are measures, methods and medicines to control some of the disorders and diseases associated with the respiratory system. One of the ways to treat these disorders is through respiratory therapy that generally manages and treats chronic diseases and disorders. It mainly applies the use of specialized machines such as respirators and the medication given is administered in the form of an aerosol. For instance, there are several pediatric long term care facilities especially catering to children with respiratory problems.
With the increasing number of people suffering from respiratory diseases and disorders, a number of medical students are specializing in respiratory therapy. Accredited institutions have been coming up in place to train medical students on how to become respiratory therapists.
The exact job description of a respiratory therapist include
– Helping to diagnose, manage and treat patients with pulmonary disorders
– Taking lung capacity measurements to find out any impaired function.
– Collecting and analyzing blood, breathe specimens and sputum. This helps them identify the levels of carbon dioxide, oxygen and other gases present in the specimens.
– Examining and interviewing patients on the discomforts that they experience.
– Giving guidance and directions for use of some of the respiratory equipment used in controlling the disorders e.g. an asthma inhaler
– Giving oxygen to a patient depending on the diagnosis.
Various institutions have been established to help students get certification in respiratory care. If you want to become a respiratory therapist type ‘respiratory therapy near me’ on your favorite search engine to get more info. You must also be registered as a professional with the national body handling healthcare provision matters to become a respiratory therapist. Once certified and registered, one can start their own private practice and specialize in providing respiratory healthcare services.